Friday, May 23, 2008

Today's Accident!

So I'm sitting at work this morning and my phone rings just before 10:30am. It was the daycare. Cade fell while coming back into the building after playing outside and had a huge goose egg on his forehead! They thought it was bad enough that they wanted me to come pick him up and take him to the doctor to have it checked out, just in case.

When I first got there, it did look horrible. He's gotten bumps on the head before, but this one had a lot of blood behind it. So it already was a bluish purple behind the bump. It sounded like one of the 3 year old came running behind Cade and got pushed over. The floor in the hallway right now is just those laminate square tiles over concrete. So it's very unforgiving. All of the kids rooms have carpeting, which is why this doesn't happen more often.

They tell me that they can't accept him back that day without a doctor's release. So Cade and I set out towards his pediatrician's office. I call them and they go through a serious of questions concerning how Cade is acting now and at the time of the accident. They think he sounds fine and proceed to tell me that the doctor is booked. So if I want someone to see him that I'll have to take him to a walk-in clinic or the hospital.

At this point in time I turn the car around and head back to the office. I figured I would get a 2nd opinion on how bad it looks from my friends there that have children. As it turned out, by the time we got there, which was about 10 minutes, the bump had gone down considerably. So that was a good sign.

My boss was in the board room in a meeting until almost 12:30pm. We had a few items that needed to get taken care of, by me, before I could just leave and go home. So Cade and I visited and hung out for his meeting to end. At that point, we got started on the filing I needed to submit to the SEC. I also had our external auditors in our office today and I had to attend a conference call, in which I was the main interviewee, all while Cade was sitting on my lap trying to grab all my paperwork! That was fun. He was fairly quiet sitting on my lap but would shriek if I tried to put him on the floor. Our company gives these monthly freebie gifts when you come into the building on our Safety Thursday's. Most of the time they are spongy stress reliever type items. So I had a ton of those that kept Cade occupied for a little while anyway.

About the last 30 minutes that we were there, Cade found a box of paperclips in my desk and proceeded to take one out at a time and hand to me. Each time I would accept it, he would yell some garbled string of who knows what. Pretty much if you were on the 5th floor and on my side of the building... you knew someone's child was there!

I did take a few pictures this evening. You can barely see the coloring now and the bump is almost gone completely. He did, however, miss his graduation night! Had he been older and thought it was an important event not to miss, we would have gone. But it was raining and was closer to Ponte Vedra, so I really didn't feel like driving all the way out there in the bad weather. Here are the pictures I took this evening. The bump is at his hairline, between his nose and eye.






After talking to Doyle just a few minutes ago, he reminded me of the aromatherapy bath salts he got me a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, my sinuses are acting up. My head feels like splitting whenever I bend over to pick something up... like a child. :)

So I think I'm going to take his suggestion and go relax. It's been a very long week and not one of Cade's best or mine! I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this was not the week for Cade, that is for sure. I remember when Aaron got a goose egg like that when we were walking uptown. He ran into a brick wall in front of the hotel and a doctor had just came out of and he looked at him and said that there was nothing to worry about because it was coming out of his head. If it had not swollen, it would have been worse. So Cade should be OK.
Mom

Dossett's from Ohio said...

You two have had a very bad week. Take care you two and have a calm relaxing weekend. Glad it is the weekend for you. Cade's nose looks so much better in the pictures.
Love Ila