Sunday, February 05, 2006

The last weekend in January


Okay, so last weekend I did a bit of cooking. Just thought I would show the yummy pics. You’ll have to let me know if you want the recipes. I’ve started this update at work on my lunch break. I’ve found that if I at least start writing it at work, then I’m more apt to cut and paste it into the blog than if I wait till I’m home and try to start it there. I think if Doyle weren’t home every night, then I wouldn’t mind spending more time sitting in front of the computer.

So Saturday I made really yummy Beef, Bean and Cheese enchiladas. I would have preferred to make burritos out of them, but I didn’t have any tortillas large enough to fold. And in my food lingo, it’s an enchilada if the tortilla is open at both ends and a burrito if it has been folded. I almost always make enchiladas because I always have the smaller soft tortillas on hand.

One thing I’ve decided I want to do is buy a software program to make my own recipe collection. It’s amazing I don’t have one already. Years and years ago a friend (Brett) gave me the software for “Mastercook”. In it you could add your own recipes. Amazingly enough, I still have this software! Over the weekend I just tried to load it onto our home computer and found it wasn’t compatible with XP. I shouldn’t have been too surprised. I think I got that software around 1997! I used it a ton on my first couple of computers. The last computer to bite the dust (which is when I always end up buying a new one) was the one that worked in Texas but after I got it here, it really went crazy. I had a couple of places work on it and I think what happened is it ended up getting several viruses that would have cost more to try and fix than just go out and get a new one. So we bought the Dell last year, which we both just love. Anyway, to get back to the main point… is that I need a new recipe software program. I did a little surfing on that subject on Sunday. I haven’t seen anything that really floats my boat just yet though. I got to download AccuChef free for 60 logins. It didn’t look too user friendly though and I’m looking for something that is very user friendly but with lots of extra’s. Like changing the number of servings and getting all of the nutritional analysis. I also want to be able to attach the picture to it and print it out for my own recipe book. Which is why I started taking pictures of the food I cooked this weekend. I figure I’ll start my photo collection and then get the software later.

This was a sausage lasagna with a jalapeno kick!

I always use a recipe out of "The all new Good Housekeeping Cookbook" as my base for any lasagna. Then I just change the ingredients for whatever flavor I want it to have. We froze half of it and will probably pull it out of the freezer in a couple of weeks or so. Doyle really liked this version.

Chicken & Spinach Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Doyle actually made this dish for me after I supplied him the with the recipe. He did a good job making it. It was SO good! I got the recipe from Cooking Light's Annual 2002 Recipe cookbook.

Beef & Bean Cheese Enchiladas

I've made so many versions of enchiladas. I don't have any one recipe that I follow. This time I used browned beef and spicy beans and mexican flavored cheese for the filling. Then I poured a can of Campbells southwest cheese soup with half a can water over it. It was definitely cheesy and yummy!

I hope you like the pictures and it didn't make you too hungry! :)

6 comments:

Dossett's from Ohio said...

Oh if I only could get your Uncle to eat some of those dishes. You know what PICKY EATER HE IS. Looks really good Aimee. Good to know Doyle is always there in the kitchen detail with you. Great job Doyle!!

Riley said...

The food looks great! Honestly, I cannot remember getting you that software...I'm amazed that you still had it. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, you made my mouth water. It looks great. You making a cook book would be a wonderful idea. It is kind of like me taking pictures of all of my crochet items.

Doyle & Aimee Cooper said...

Glad everyone thinks the food looks good! My better half accidentally left the frozen half of the lasagna sit on the counter over night. Oh well... I guess that just means I'll have to make another!

Brett, you got that software for me as a going away gift when I moved to VA. Don't you remember when those people would drop off books at the office for people to hopefully buy... and I always ended up making copies of certain recipes out of the cookbooks? I think that was the start of my craziness over cookbooks! Ha! Doyle did end up getting me the latest Mastercook upgrade. It's wonderful! I'm sure I'll end up making another blog entry to talk about it. And yes, it was amazing that I still had that software! But, I am crazy about cookbooks!

Riley said...

It's been awhile, but when you brought it up, I do vaguely remember getting the software for you. I also remember all of the salesmen that stopped in selling books. I recall watching soap operas in the afernoon...ahhh, memories. :)

- Brett (Riley's Dad)

Anonymous said...

Your Dad says this looks better than the fish tacos.