Sunday, January 14, 2007

Baby Room Update

Last weekend Doyle worked on getting the closet in the baby's room all set up. That closet used to just have 1 rack to hang clothes on. This summer we reorganized our bedroom closet and put all new adjustment shelving in. So Doyle did the same thing with the baby's room closet. It looks so much better! I should have taken a "before" picture so you could see the difference. We both really like the setup in there now. Plus since they are adjustable, when someone buys the house, they can just move the shelves to whatever configuration they want to use it. No, the house isn't currently on the market, but maybe in a couple of years. We would really like to be in a bigger house by the time baby number 2 comes along... and yes, we are planning on having a second child. At least that's what we are saying now anyway. :)

So here are just a few snapshots of how the room looks now.

The newest item we've added to the room is the matching hamper. The wood is unfinished... and I haven't yet asked Doyle what he thinks about staining it to match the crib finish. I guess we'll find out what he says about wanting to do that. I know I'm not supposed to be around fumes like that. It won't be a big deal to me if he says no.

I'm pretty excited to use this crib lamb. He plays the sounds of a heartbeat, which I've read is supposed to be very soothing to babies. Especially since he's been listening to my heartbeat ever since he developed his hearing. I also read babies like to lie on your chest for the same reason, so they can hear your heartbeat. I hadn't really thought about that before.
Here's the changer/combo dresser. The door to the right will hold the diapers and extra supplies. A friend of mine told me that I shouldn't be using baby powder because infants can inhale it and possibly die. Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that? During my daycare and babysitting job days, we always used powder. Definitley let me know if anyone has any thoughts of this. I searched for it on the internet and found very little.

And below are the pictures of the new closet arrangement. We were able to move a lot of STUFF in there. Plus we've still got tons of room to keep adding to it.



I originally had these cubes in the room by the crib but decided to move the stuff they held onto the shelves and put other items in the cubes in this closet. It just made more room in the baby's room.

And yes, we've already got the bassinette/playard setup in our room. This is at the end of our bed... so we both have just as easy access as the other. Last weekend we really went to town getting everything ready. I thought it would be a good idea for the pets to get used to this being in our room. Right now we've got a sheet covering it just so Snickers doesn't get the brainy idea of jumping into it. He hasn't yet tried to, so that's good. Once we get a little closer to the due date, we'll put the absorbable waterproof liner and actual crib sheet on it. Hopefully that should cut down on how often we have to wash the actual mattress. We'll see.

And here's a picture of my baby, Kit. His allergies have really gone through the roof, poor thing. He gnawed a spot on his butt and one of his armpits until they bled. By the time I noticed it, his skin looked like bacon on those two spots. OUCH! So out came the handy cone again. We've been giving him his Omega 3 pill daily (as usual) and giving him Benadryl to help with the itching. I test him every once in a while and take the cone off to see if he's still scratching. Well, I noticed he's not scratching as much as he was, but I did notice a new spot starting. So the cone went back on. We've also got a spray that the vet gave him the last time he had this. We've been using that on him too. He doesn't usually get these allergies until April but it's possible they came early because it's been so warm out.
The only other news we've got is Doyle's birthday was yesterday. NetJets finally called him to go to his 3rd round of training. So he had to get up before 3am yesterday and drive down to West Palm. So we haven't been able to "celebrate" his birthday yet. I did give him his present though, which was an XBOX 360. He was thrilled and very surprised. So I think we'll try and sell his old XBOX because he won't need it anymore. Let me know if anyone is interested in it. He also has the wireless headset for that box too. Of course, none of the accessories are compatible between the old and new set. I just got that wireless headset for him last Christmas too. Oh well.
Let's see... no other news except my belly is still growing, pretty much straight out! I'll get stopped at work by people that tell me that I'm really cute pregnant. Does that mean I wasn't cute before I got pregnant??? ha
The baby is definitely kicking up a storm now. He's doing the really big movements where the shape of my stomach changes. That feels so weird! It seems like I feel him move around more when my stomach is empty. He either just has more room to move around or he's trying to tell me that it's time to eat! I've got my 32 week doctors appointment this week, which means I've only got 8 weeks to go! Thursday is our first birthing class. Doyle is hoping he'll be back home and able to go with me. Class doesn't start until 7:30pm and I think it runs 2 hours. I'm going to be exhausted on Friday I'm sure. I feel alot better when I can get to bed around 9pm, especially since my alarm goes off just before 5:30am every day.
This past week and this next week are the busiest for me at work. Last week I worked anywhere from 10.5 to 12 hours each day. My adrenaline was up so that definitely helped. I'm hoping this week won't be quite so bad. Yesterday I just layed around all day. I had planned to do some grocery shopping but that didn't happen. I think I just needed a day to recover. This morning I got up early and started working on materials that I brought home. I thought it would help in cutting down the hours at work this week. I got a lot done so we'll see.

Alright, I'll let you go for now. I hope you've had a good weekend thus far. I think it's supposed to get up to 79 degrees here today. Since I feel like I've been so productive this morning, maybe I'll go hit the shower and actually get myself ready to leave the house today. I'm running out of food in the house... so chances are, I'll at least make myself get to the grocery store anyway. Which reminds me... it's amazing how much better total strangers treat you when you are pregnant! One example is if there is a line at any restroom... someone always invites me to go in front of them. So there are definite perks to being pregnant... other than the obvious... you eventually get a little baby in your arms at the end! :)
Have a great weekend!
Love, Aimee



2 comments:

Dossett's from Ohio said...

Great update!! Love what you have done to the baby room. Poor Kit and his alergies. What we don't go through for our fur children huh? Never heard of baby powder being harmful but never shook it in the air always put it in my hand then to baby's body. Interesting what people have used for years is now harmful. Love seeing your blog update. Love Ila

Anonymous said...

Hey Aimee and Doyle (and Cade and Kit and Snicks)....
Love the room!! The cherry wood is beautiful!! As far as the baby powder, I have heard that. Apparently the "puff" that the powder produces can be dangerous/harmful to the baby's lungs. What we did is put some in our hand and then apply so the "puff" doesn't go near the baby. They also have some "puffless" products out there that we tried once, but we didn't like!!

Poor Kit. The itchy's stink!!

Love you guys and can't wait to meet Cade!!