Sunday, November 26, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving 2006!

We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We sure did. We kept ourselves VERY busy. Today is the first day we actually had a whole day of downtime.

Thursday we got up and I got the turkey ready. Doyle did a very good job of helping me in the kitchen when necessary, like putting the turkey in and out of the oven. I really hadn't had the time to spend making a grand Thanksgiving Day menu. Luckily we pretty much had everything we needed. Since I make a big turkey every year, I pretty much just went off memory. I did stuff the turkey the same as last year, putting carrots, celery and onion in it. They turned out just as crispy crunchy as they did last year. I think I'm going to make that an annual tradition.


We also had creamed spinach, stuffing, citrus cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy and rolls. It was all really yummy. We have really enjoyed eating the leftovers.


When I picked the meat off the bones... I went ahead and made 2 bags for the freezer. We can have more leftovers a little later down the road. I knew it would take a while to pick all the meat off and I really wanted to be comfortable, so Doyle threw down 3 towels on my chair/ottoman so I could sit there and do it. I wasn't alone...


Kit watched me very intently the whole time. Well, he wasn't really watching me... but rather had his eyes on the turkey the whole time! He was a good boy though. He just sits and watches and waits... plus licks his lips here and there just hoping that you will throw him a piece or two. Which I did of course, after all, it was Thanksgiving!

Over the course of the rest of the weekend, we did so some shopping. We didn't do the 'get up at the crack of dawn' black Friday shopping though. To summarize the weekend, we were gone from the house almost 4-5 hours each day running errands for this and that. The biggest spur of the moment purchase was a new bedroom set for us! This actually is the first matching bedroom set I've ever had. It got delivered over the holiday weekend too. So Doyle got to pull all the furniture out of the bedroom and steam clean the carpets all before it was to be delivered. One of the night stands was damaged though and they said they will deliver it on Tuesday. So I'll be sure to take pictures when the room is done. We went to several stores looking at new bedroom lamps. I found one for the longer dresser, but still haven't found anything I really want for the night stands. We went into 4 stores and spent hours looking too. I'm sure we'll find something eventually.

Doyle also went to Babies-R-Us to pick up all the big gifts we had received at our baby shower in New Jersey. Unfortunately, my camera went on the fritz about halfway through the event and still won't turn on correctly. So I don't have any pictures myself of it. I'm hoping everyone that took pictures will email them to me so I can post them. When I get some, I'll put a whole seperate blog post for it.

Okay, so you are probably wondering how I took pictures of our Thanksgiving meal if my camera was broken right? Well, last month we bought a camcorder to have for the baby. I didn't remember until we got back from New Jersey that I could have taken still shots with the camcorder. Duh!!! So I did use it to take pictures of our T-Day meal but it didn't cross my mind to use it during the shower. Argh!!! I'm sure the pictures that we did take are still on the memory of the camera, so I'm going to have to ask my Aunt Ila and Uncle Butch to download them for me when we are at their house for Christmas. The whole baby shower was just gorgeous and nice! We were really surprised that Chip & Diane went all out setting it up for us. And everyone was so generous in giving us gifts... we were on overload at opening them all! Luckily, we were able to bring everything but the big items with us on the plane checked as luggage. The rest of the items we just returned to the nearest Babies-R-Us in New Jersey and then picked them back up at the store here in Jacksonville. I'm so glad I thought of that instead of having to pay to have all those items shipped. I'm sure that wouldn't have been cheap!

Let's see, what else did we do. Last night we finished putting the trimmings on the tree. We both REALLY like the tree with all red lights. As soon as we finish putting everything else up and put the boxes all away, I'll take some pictures so you can see it. I'm thinking next year I might want to do all green lights. Changing it up every year is like having a brand new tree! Last year it was all blue lights. This is just the 2nd year for using our new artificial tree. My allergies really appreciate it too!

What else am I missing? It must be alot because we ran ourselves all over town and all over the house getting it ready. Oh yeah, Doyle also picked up the combo/changer for the babies room. I'm telling ya, we didn't have a slow minute until just today. Right now Doyle is in the bedroom studying for his next training event so I thought I would hop on here and give an update. The babies room right now is just a mess. Tons of boxes of gifts. The guest room has all the baby clothes on the bed. I need to buy some dreft and wash them so that we can put them away. Doyle still needs to buy and put up the new closet arrangment in the babies room so that I've got more space to hang the clothes. I don't know when he's going to have time to get that done. We just have so much going on it's crazy these days!

The baby is kicking away a TON too. While we were watching the game on TV, I pulled my shirt up and we could literally watch him kick! My skin was moving all over the place. I'm much more used to it now. This is getting really exciting!

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and wrap this up for today. I'll get pictures of the baby room, our bedroom and the living room posted just as soon as I can.

Happy Thanksgiving again!

No comments: