Thursday, December 07, 2006

The toaster oven event

Okay, so have you actually ever had your toaster oven catch on fire before?? Well I can say I now have! Yesterday morning I was getting ready as usual, making some peanut butter toast for breakfast to take with me to eat on the way to work. It's all about multi-tasking these days.

So anyway, I put the bread in it and turn it on and then get Kit's water and food dish ready and sit it outside. I was already fully dressed and ready to walk out the door at this point in the morning. All I needed to do was make the sandwich and go. So as I'm coming back in from saying goodbye to Kit, I immediately smelled smoke. Uh-oh... so I go into the kitchen quickly and instantly see the small fire going in the toaster oven!

I unplugged it immediately and tried blowing out the flames. Which did work, but only for a second because they came right back. It wasn't until the 3rd attempt did the fire actually stay out. By this time, the smoke was billowing out of the thing and I realized I didn't want the smoke alarm to start going off in the kitchen. So I finally turned on the vent under the microwave and opened the kitchen window. I also realized that Kit was barking in the back yard. He must have sensed something was going on in the house because he never barks for no reason. So I'm trying to fan the smoke towards the window and yell out towards the back of the house to Kit that everything is fine.

I'm sure it was a site to see. Eventually I get Kit settled back down and get most of the smoke out of the kitchen. Luckily, the smoke detector never did go off. Which makes me think I better have Doyle check to make sure it still works when he gets back from training.

So I close the window to the kitchen and make a peanut butter sandwich on untoasted bread to take with me... blech. It just wasn't the same to say the least. So I grabbed by purse and head out to the car. Once I get to the car I think... you know, maybe I shouldn't have left that toaster oven in the house just in case it catches fire again. So I throw my things in the car and head back into the house. I decide to put it out front behind the pillar so the neighbors can't see it. Then I walk back to the car.

Once I get to the car, I think to myself... I wonder if I shouldn't have opened the door to it to let the cool air hit it just in case it decides to catch fire again. So I turn around and walk back to the front door. I open it and then think to myself... maybe I should keep it in plain site so the neighbors can see it... just in case it catches fire again. So then I move it in front of the front door and for the last time, walk back to my car.

Talk about a morning! As I'm driving to work... I realized that I totally smelled like smoke! I had also scheduled a 7:30am interview for an open position I have and I thought I would still make it on time. Well, of course, there was an accident on my way to work which backed traffic up. As if the rest of my morning was going to go any other way!

I ended up only being a couple of minutes late and was able to conduct the interview, although my mind was obviously preoccupied with the mornings events!

The moral of this story... is that when a product says not to leave it unattended while in use... they mean it! I hope you have a great rest of your week. Hopefully mine will only get better!

Love, Aimee
:)

1 comment:

Dossett's from Ohio said...

I laughed at this it so reminds me of reading one of your Mom's stories. You are your Mom's daughter too funny!! Glad things worked out